Thursday, April 24, 2008

Aha!

Okay, okay. I found this book:



I looked through the table of contents, and it's in English (which is good, because I don't read, um Dutch? German? If I can't tell what it is, I certainly can't read it). It's full of really obscure information that is useful to us, such as types of incense, material culture, clothing, houses, and other interesting subjects. It's essentially a collection of academic papers from an international conference on the subject.

It's 78 Euro to purchase, so if anybody finds a source that's cheaper, that would be awesome.

The wikipedia article on Byzantine dress is mostly an overview, but is interesting because of the photo of a glove about halfway down the page, which, although late in the Byzantine period, shows an excellent example of the ostentation of the embroidery:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Handschuh_Palermo.jpg

Some of the links at the bottom of the article contain images from the same exhibit at Palermo, (such as this one:

)

and also an exhibit at the Met. The rest of the links are mostly things that I think the ChickenGoddess has mentioned previously, but the article collects them into one single list quite nicely.

And then after I posted, I found this:

Ceramic Art from Byzantine Serres (Illinois Byzantine Studies)

Plates and things, and I'm looking for something that shows me eating utensils (there is the legend about the Byzantine princess/queen introducing the fork to the uncivilized peoples of Europe, so I'll see if that has any truth).

And that's all I've got for now, folks. Let me know if I'm repeating anything...

4 comments:

vox8 said...

I am very interested to see what you dig up regarding the fork. Most of the stories surrounding this implement are apocryphal, but it is definitely found in the Italian City states earlier than other areas of Europe.

The Chickengoddess said...

In looking up the stuff Serena posted I found out that the author of the Byz Magic book also wrote a book called "A Material Analysis of Byzantine Pottery", available from Harvard University Press for about 70 or so dollars. Dekalb library doesn't have it, so we would have to ILL it. The pottery in the book you posted could all be done with Pebeo on plain white plates and oven fired. I have 30 place settings of plain white dishes I bought from Ikea we could play with.

Happygoth said...

Hooray! I'm all for that (it lets me paint more). I'd assumed that the fork stories were mostly apocryphal, but it has gotten me to thinking about what might actually be true...

Lady Madelena da Firenze said...

Painting plates would be cool, but I can't draw. Sooooo...if someone else draws it, I'll paint it.

I love the chandelier thingy on the Met website.