Sunday, April 20, 2008

In The Beginning

I've ordered a couple of books from Amazon. I figured that if I'm going to be doing this for a year, I should at least own a couple of books on the subject.

Everyday Life in Byzantium by Rice, Tamara Talbot
Ancient Greek, Roman & Byzantine Costume by Houston, Mary G.

I'm hoping the second one can give me some better ideas about design elements for the embroidery.

I've also ILL'd
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry (Luke 12:19)  Food and Wine in Byzantium (Society for the Promotion of Byzantine Studies)
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry (Luke 12:19) Food and Wine in Byzantium (Society for the Promotion of Byzantine Studies)

I wasn't prepared to pay $90 for it.
Also, when I discussed clothing with Young Ploppy, he wants his Dalmatica to be light gold with orange clavi and segmentae. God help my burning eyeballs. I didn't ask him about a paludamentum color, I was worried he'd want fuchsia.

Perhaps, when we all start talking about clothing a colors, we can look into buying bolts of silk. Silk Connention has Chinese Dupioni on 50yd bolts for $6.95 a yard. We'd have to dye it, but that could be a fun project as well. :) I've always wanted to use this stuff:
jacquard products

And, last but not least, I highly recommend this site for Linen:
fabrics-store.com
I'm sure that the majority of you already know about it...but just in case :)

And now that the Ambien haze has settled over me....I'm going to bed.

But I'm definitely at excitement factor 5, Captain.

1 comment:

The Chickengoddess said...

Cool! I have the link for Fabrics store.com in the sidebar, and I have several small bottles of the Jacquard dyes left over from silk painting projects if you want to play.....